Thursday, September 08, 2005

Rotten Apples

I posted this before in a web forum thread discussing the new iPod Nano and decided to post it here too. By the way, "ihpod nanoe" literally translates into "little gimp" in Finnish. I kid you not!

"Is all Apple software as "awesome" as the QuickTime player? Damn, I hate that thing. I really wish I didn't have to ever install it again, but there are still a lot of QT video clips on the net, despite the inferiority of the format and the buggy and bloated propriatary software.

As far as Apple and iPod, I don't like them. I don't like their trendy designs that try to appeal to the AOL yuppie crowd, their lack of features compared to other players, their proprietary music stores, etc. I don't even think that iPods look cool. They look like bars of soap to me, but to each their own...

I myself own a Rio Forge 128 MB with a 1 GB SD card. It fits my needs nicely. It has very nice ergonomics, perfectly fitting inside of your palm when you carry it, giving your thumb easy access to volume and navigation controls. The navigation is very easy. I can't really imagine how it could be simpler.

I also don't use any propritary music management or "store" software. I either rip my CDs or buy unprotected MP3s online, stick the SD card into a reader built into my monitor and copy the MP3s from Explorer or Konquerer. Very simple, very effective, no extra bloatware installed..."

In addition, I've read something funny posted by a guy who actually sells iPods at a store. He said that a lot of dumb yuppies coming in and looking for one don't think that it's an MP3 player. They are under the impression that it does something more than all the other MP3 players out there, while in actuality the iPods usually lack features compared to the competition.
That cracked me up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lance Fisher said...

Music management software - is it as bad as photo management software? I hate the stuff Kodak and Cannon give you with your camera, and I haven't heard any reports of better software from other camera manufactures. I just like to have the files sitting out on my hard drive ready for me to use whatever software I want with them. That goes for music and photos. As for the iPod, too expensive for me to even try out.

Thu Sep 08, 02:24:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Prizrak said...

You know, iTunes is a big piece of bloatware, being a store front interface, a player and a music library management software, all-in-one. After dealing with QuickTime, I can just imagine how "fun" it is. I don't believe you can just hook up an iPod and load it up through Windows Explorer. I think you have to go through iTunes. It also prevents you from using the iPod as a general storage device. By the way, they bundle QuickTime downloads with iTunes these days, so you have to download the whole 30 MB package. Lame...

Thu Sep 08, 02:34:00 PM MDT  
Blogger emergen-c-man said...

well i think it goes along with apple logic, which has been this way for as long as i have been around apples, in comp science I worked with about 100 imac's i once told my teacher "dont you think its sad that the only reason you have a job is because these things are so dependably breaking down?" well apple is decently user-friendly, more so then a pc, so those of us who lack the tenacity to explore would love apples, sorta the all in one, compact, standardized. Its sorta like buying a Kia. I enjoy itunes however, more so then any other radio station ability player i have tried so far, i do not own an ipod, and i probably never will, i own a car and have a cd player and can burn blanks, let alone i realy dont have 200 extra dollars in my pocket, i have saw the rio, but if you want to be a sheep like everyone else, i think the ipod is the way to go.
that and pod casting.
aaron

Thu Sep 22, 09:38:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home